Extract ID3 V2 metadata from a WAV file

Started by Neuromance1972, April 06, 2019, 08:38:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neuromance1972

Hi there, it's me again...
Due to my sound processing desing, i need to process the Replay Gain metadada before i create MP3 (or any other file format other than WAV).
So, i managed to add an ID3 V2.3 tag ("TXXX", 4 frames) to the WAV files.
Checked with MP3Tag and Foobar and the metadata are there.

However, when i try to load them via ASOED, using ID3V2_FrameCountGet("TXXX"), ID3V2_UserTextFrameDescriptionGet(iIndex) and ID3V2_UserTextFrameGet(iIndex), no joy.
Apparently ALL_AnalyzeSoundFile returns 0 (no tags) if the input is a WAV file with ID3 V2 frames in it.

Is that by design?

Many thanks in advance

Administrator

Hello,

I don't think that an ID3V2 tag inserted in a wav file is supported by our engine but you may send us a wav file containing the tag so we could make some testing with it:
ftp://ftp.multimediasoft.com
username: myguest
password: mmsoft

Kind Regards

Severino Delaurenti
MultiMedia Soft

Neuromance1972

Hi, and thank you.
File uploaded. It's named "WAV with ID3 metadata.wav"

I am having a similiar "issue" trying to save ID3 tags into AIF, using the ID3 functions of the TagsEditor.

AIFs weren't originally meant to support metadata, but it's now generally accepted (even by iTunes!) that they can support ID3 tags.
Or, with AIF, i should try to use a different tag format that is supported by your engine?

Administrator

Hello, thanks for having sent the file.
Effectively the ID3V2 tag has been inserted using a non standard "ID3 " RIFF chunk at the very bottom of the wav file and this is still not supported by our component: we will check the possibility to add support for this chunk too but this won't happen in the immediate future.
In the meantime, you may read some tag info about this specific file through the "ListInfo" chunk which is also there: the WavChunkEditor sample installed by our setup package shows how to read it.

Unfortunately tags in AIFF files are not supported by our components.

Kind Regards

Severino Delaurenti
MultiMedia Soft

Neuromance1972

Hi there,
yes, in the WAV files there were two ID3 chunks. A regular ID3V2.3 one, containing four TXXX frames for Replay Gain info and a second one (the RIFF), added by MP3Tag. Anyway, ok with that, I just change process.

Regarding the AIFF support for ID3, I see and thanks for clarifying. After digging around, i've found this: http://aifftagging.blogspot.com/2013/11/aiff-audio-files-can-be-tagged-with.html?m=1 and it looks like Kid3 CLI fits for what I need, so I'll give it a try.

Cheers